I was once proud to be at Apple, proud of Apple's reputation of advancing ease of use and understanding. Alas, these attributes are fast disappearing from their products in favor of pretty looks, or as designers call it "styling." A journalist has just reported my views. And Bruce Tognazzini and I are writing a detailed critique. This note gives highlights of the views and points to her interview with me..
Other Recent Essays
- A Product Is More than a Product -- Consider the Chair
- Automatic Cars Or Distracted Drivers: We Need Automation Sooner, Not Later
- UC San Diego Postdoc in Human-Centered Healthcare
- Positive computing: technology for wellbeing and human potential (Calvo & Peters)
- Why Procrastination Is Good
- The Human Side of Automation
The design of human-computer systems used to focus upon the negative, the breakdowns that confused and confounded people. Now it is time to move to the next level, to focus upon the positive, systems that are enjoyable and pleasurable. We need systems that delight as well as inform, systems that create pleasure along with useful function. We need systems that are resilient, that promote control, understanding, and sometimes just plain pleasure. The design field has responded by examining the role of emotions and pleasure in design. We need to move these findings into mainstream computing.
Recent recommended readings
- Turns Signals Are the Facial Expressions of Automobiles
- Things That Make Us Smart Available as eBook
- Scenarios of the future: Two histories of the 21st century
- FIRE: How Fast, Inexpensive, Restrained, and Elegant Methods Ignite Innovation. (Dan Ward)
- The Simplicity Cycle (Dan Ward)
- The cult of the peacock (Brendan Vance)
Keynote Addresses and Schedule
Contact information, bios, press photos, ...
Examples of talks
- August 19-22, 2015. Education keynote. Industrial Design Society of America, Seattle, WA.
- September 1 - 3, 2015. Keynote. Relating Systems Thinking and Design 4 (RSD4) Conference. Banff Centre, Alberta, Canada
- October 10-11, 2015. DesignX Workshop. Tongji University. Shanghai.
- October 12-13, 2015. Emerging Practices conference. Tongji University, Shanghai, China
- October 15, 2015. Advisory Board, School of Design and Innovation, Tongji.
- December 14-?, 2015. Hong Kong University of Science and Technology