As automation and artificial intelligence technologies develop, we need to think less about the design of human-machine interfaces and more about the design of human-machine teamwork.
Other Recent Essays
- The Challenges of Partially Automated Driving
- The Future of Design: When you come to a fork in the road, take it
- Interview: Is Tesla Racing Recklessly Towards Driverless Cars?
- Norman & Stappers (2016). DesignX: Design and complex sociotechnical systems
- Vox Media on Norman Doors. 'Bad doors are everywhere'
- In memory of Naomi Miyake
I am pleased to say that the paper by P.J. Stappers and me on DesignX has been published, along with several commentaries and then a response by the authors. With citation and URL for the package.
Recent recommended readings
- Simplicity: A Matter of Design by Per Mollerup
- Positive computing: technology for wellbeing and human potential (Calvo & Peters)
- Turns Signals Are the Facial Expressions of Automobiles
- Things That Make Us Smart Available as eBook
- Scenarios of the future: Two histories of the 21st century
- FIRE: How Fast, Inexpensive, Restrained, and Elegant Methods Ignite Innovation. (Dan Ward)
Keynote Addresses and Schedule
Contact information, bios, press photos, ...
WHY DOES You Tube Restrict me from viewing my own Videos?
Speak of bad design. Half the videos i try to watch -- recommended to me by reliable sources (you know, Wired Magazine, Vox (a video of me!), can't be watched. "This video is restricted. Try signing in with Google App." I am signed in with google app. I called the Google Help desk. "Gee, we don't know," they said helpfully.
Maybe this announcement will get read. Hey Larry! Hey Sergey! Help me.
(Time to start my gallery of "Design Frustrations.")
Examples of talks
- Ted Talk: Design and Emotion
- Industrial Design Part of Apple's Success (Voice of america interview, 2016)
- Norman Doors. Posner interview. Vox 2016. (I'm not allowed to view it--see above)
- An Evening With Don Norman (Stanford: 2014)
- Design Research and Innovation
- An eternal record of the evening with Don Norman. (Stanford Business school), 2014.
Design of Everyday Things, Revised and Expanded Edition (DOET2), paperback and eBook.
Fundamentals (Chapters 1 and 2) -- now available
See these excerpts
I am declining most travel requests not directly related to establishment of the Design Lab at U.C. San Diego. Trips where I have zero spare time are not listed.
- Feb 16, 2017. Talk at SAP, Palo Alto.
- April 11, 2017. Town & Gown talk. San Diego
- April 12-14, 2017. European Academy of Design, Design for Next Conference. Rome. (On Scientific Advisory Committee)
- June 19, 2017. BioTech Conference, San Diego (tentative)